View current host name:
$ $hostnamectl status Static hostname: localhost.localdomain Transient hostname: kennedy.lan Icon name: computer-laptop Chassis: laptop Machine ID: xx Boot ID: xx Operating System: Fedora 30 (Workstation Edition) CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:30 Kernel: Linux 5.1.3-surface Architecture: x86-64
Change the hostname to ‘kennedy.lan’:
hostnamectl set-hostname --static "kennedy.lan"
This feels very complicated. Much easier using /etc/rc.conf in FreeBSD.
I have tinkered with getting the recently released Fedora Linux version 30 to run on my Surface Book. The usual patch set by Jake Day only works for Ubuntu out of the box, so there is a bit of wood to chop. Luckily, someone has put a great guide up on Medium to follow. I am posting it here for future reference.
I’m very sad to see that the creator of Erlang, Joe Armstrong, has passed away. Erlang (Ericsson Language) is one of the pioneering languages in distributed computing, which was built by Ericsson for their carrier-grade telco switches. Erlang:
- Is a functional programming language in the spirit of Lisp, which means it is easy to scale in horizontally
- Fault tolerant, embracing the notion of “let it fail”. Failure is seen as part and parcel of any system
- Used garbage collection long before Java popularised it
- Highly available, making it possible to hot-swap parts of program code without bringing down the entire application
- Is both a language and runtime platform using the OTP (Open Telco Platform)
- Is one of the main influences of Akka, the Scala based actor implementation, which provides a highly scalable distributed compute platform
Joe Armstrong was a true innovator in his field and I am sad to see him pass away. You can read his seminal PhD thesis here and also hear him live on Software Engineering Radio here. The latter is more than 10 years old but still worth a listen for an introduction to Erlang and its interesting history from telco real-time system to open source innovator.
If you get the above error on Ubuntu or Debian, you need to install the right deb package via apt. This can be done with:
sudo apt-get install -y software-properties-common
Note – the above will only work with recent versions of Debian / Ubuntu and may vary with other versions.
View of Singapore Marina Barrage, an incredible dam that connects the confluence of five rivers at the tip of the the Marina. It effectively turns Marina Bay into a freshwater reservoir. The photo is taken from the top of Marina Bay Sands, the famous hotel with three massive buildings connected by a long boat on top.